Ali Wilkinson

Feathering my Nest

I’ve been working 70 hour weeks the past month whilst trying to get over a nasty cold. The two in combination are not the best. The cold seems to be gone now but the long hours will still be required for a wee while longer, so all the more reason for me to spend as much of the weekend sewing as a de-stressor and distraction!

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 1

This is what I have been amusing myself with the last two weekends. The pattern has been on my to do list for what seems like forever since I first saw it on the cover of Love Patchwork and Quilting issue 9 and I have had it in mind to make in this Jennifer Sampou Shimmer fabric too.

The first feather required a little seam ripping until I worked out that joining the side triangles correctly required me to join them with 1/4″ dog ear overlap at the edge. (I should have recalled that from the Angled class I took with Rachel.) See this picture for an illustration:

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 2


Once I got a rhythm going and had worked it out progress was quite quick. The pattern descriptions are quite good but I could probably have done with some additional photos as I found it hard to imagine what I was going to do when I read the pattern before starting.

I used Kona Bone as my background colour and an Oakshott shot cotton for the quills, which I will also use as the binding.

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 4

Today has been cold and sleety, so not the most ideal for photo opportunities, so please excuse the shadow.

When I began assembly I realised that some of the tips of my feathers were a teensy bit too short. I was able to “bodgy things up” so it all worked out well, but if I made one again I would sew with very scant 1/4″ seams and not the true 1/4″ seams I usually use.

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 3

I am delighted with the end result and will drop this off with Suzet Pont for quilting. I am tempted with a very full-on Angela Waters style.

The feathers were constructed by sewing strips of each fabric together to make a large panel, and then cutting the angled segments. Of course with this type of construction I ended up with lots of left over partial segments, which I have randomly sewn together to create large pieced blocks which I will use for another project (I am thinking a storage bucket or basket, but given how much there is I might get another hot water bottle cover too!). Watch this space for more on that!

And so, this is another project almost done for the 2015 Finish Along.