I knew I wanted to make this pouch from the moment I saw a sneaky peak on Svetlana’s blog when she called for testers. I volunteered but didn’t get the call so I had to wait for the pattern to be released before I could make one.
Svetlana calls it the Sophia Pouch and it’s just that little bit more complex and sophisticated than her previous pouches as it includes an external pocket and piping.
This is the second time only that I used piping and I had to make it myself too as in NZ there does not appear to be ready made piping available in the stores. I used piping cord and bias tape and simply folded the tape lengthwise in half and set the cord in the fold before sewing it loosely to hold the cord in place.
My hot tip for piping is to baste it on the first layer away from the piping, but when adding the second layer and creating the piped seam, set the needle so it stitches only a stitch width away from being hard up against the piping, which you can feel through the top layer. This will hold the piping nice and tight whilst also giving space to fold back the fabric each side of the piping once completed.
I fussy cut some of Tula Pink’s Eden to showcase the lovely tigers on the back. On the front the tiger is largely hidden inside the outer pocket, although part of one is showing to one side. I fussy cut the inside pocket too so that the tiger stood proud.
I lined the pouch and outer pocket with some old Tula Pink from the Moonshine range I think, and I used Art Gallery Squared Elements for the zipper binding, lining of the inside tiger pocket and the tab on the end of the zipper (which hangs loosely inside).
I made a slight change to the pattern by using a magnetic snap to close the outer pocket. Svetlana uses velcro in the pattern but I didn’t have any (no doubt as I am not a fan of that stuff given the way it attracts fluff in an irritating way!).
This pattern looks way more complicated than it is! The hardest thing is the piping but you get to experiment on the outer pocket edge first and as long as you are willing to unpick and restitch if you don’t sew close enough to the piping, then it’s all very straightforward.
I spotted a couple of inconsistencies in the pattern, for example the cutting instructions do not tell you to cut interfacing for the front and back of the lining, but in the pattern it does refer to them being lined with interfacing. I didn’t use interfacing on the lining except for the gusset (which it does tell you to cut interfacing for) and I am glad I did it this way. The gusset gives the structure that is needed but the lining was more pliable and easy to fit than on previous pouches where I have used interfacing on both lining and exterior.
I highly recommend this pattern, especially for people who wish to cut their teeth on piping. All up it took about 2 hours to make and is a great way to use up large scraps.
I used fabrics from Tula Pink Eden (exterior), Tula Pink Moonshine (lining), Art Gallery Squared Elements (binding and inside pocket lining) and Art Gallery Emmy Grace houses by Bari J (exterior pocket), a magnetic snap (14mm), a burgundy 12″ zip, piping cord and burgundy bias tape.