Ali Wilkinson

Cracking the WIP

needledownnz_long_time_gone_3_ 3

In my silence of the pat week or so I have been busy attacking a few WIPs and moving them into finished status. I have also had a DREAMi moment or two. That word, DREAMi, comes from another blog I read, MMMQuilts from Sandra Walker. It means drop everything and make it, and it perfectly sums up a phenomenon that afflicts me far too often!

My DREAMi moment was to make this little pot using hand piecing techniques and a pattern by Amber Crawley which I bought from Craftsy. It very cleverly uses stiff fusible interfacing and a standard EPP process to make the base and lid of the box, and the EPP approach allows for super precise fitting of the rims to the top and bottom of each section, and then for the inside lining to snuggly fit with no slackness and no tightness. It was a very satisfying make for the early winter nights in front of the fire. Here’s the finished product:

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 1

Which I am using to store my curved basting pins:

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 2

Fabric used is Anna Maria Horner Folk Song (exterior) and True Colours (lining). Amber made a hexagon box version too which I might make in coming months. Each pattern has two sizes and I made the smaller one.

Project #2 was converting these Liberty hexies into a cushion. I bought these during a trip to Liberty two years ago with no specific project in mind, just because they were so cute and delicious. I used EPP to turn them into a square which then hung on my design wall for the best part of a year and suddenly I had the idea of framing them, then turning that larger square into a cushion cover.

needledown_nz_camera_pouch_ 1

I framed it in Kona Slate, a slate-grey blue, then fused some batting to the back for a little loft. Using variegated Aurefil I did a few waves lines as quilting to hold the batting to the outer, then sewed all this to two pieces of Liberty yardage.

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 6

I had a big New To Me moment when I created two buttonholes in one of these backing pieces – I have never used the button hole thingy on my Husqvarna before, but it was SOOOOOOO easy! The manual (for once) was clear and helpful, and now I know how easy it is I sense I will be putting buttonholes on everything!

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 7

I’ll take this to our holiday home in July and hope to make another to match from the second pack of Liberty hexies I still have ready.

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 5

Projet #3 will hopefully save me from burning my hands again when retrieving food from the oven. I am notorious in my family for having little burns on my wrists and thumbs, and this week when my threadbare Cath Kidtson oven glove gave up the ghost and resulted in burned finger tips, I decided it was time I got my act together and made a new glove.

needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 4

I used more of the Cloud 9 Koi fabric, which is an upholstery weight, so perfect for a hard wearing utility item. The batting is Insulbright, so hopefully no more burns for me! This was such an easy make and took an hour and half all up. Here are quick instructions:

  1. Cut two large rectangles 35″ x 8″ and four smaller squares 8″ x 8″ of the chosen fabric, plus a piece of Insulbright or batting 35″ x 8″ and two more 8″ x 8″. You’ll also need about 2 yards of bias tape.
  2. Round the four corners of the rectangles and two corners of each of the squares.
  3. Place a rectangle right side down, followed by Insulbright, then the second rectangle right side up. Baste together 1/8″ from the edge.
  4. Repeat step 2 for each of the squares.
  5. Attach bias tape to the straight edges of the squares.
  6. Place the squares at each end of the rectangle, rounded corners together and baste again.
  7. Attach bias tape around the edge using a quilting binding method to join the ends.

I hang mine over the handle of my oven, but if you hang yours on a hook you will need to sew a loop for hanging.

I didn’t complete any further WIPs but I did make the Liberty version of the Long Time Gone BOM block #3 which I am quite pleased with and I sorted out the 1/4″ foot so this one is not wonky like the last one I did!
needledownnz_cracking_the_wip_ 3

So that’s been my progress the past few weeks. With winter upon us and no heating in my sewing room, I sense much more hand work in front of the fire will be taking place!

2 thoughts on “Cracking the WIP

  1. Pingback: The Mandatory 2016 Review and 2017 Plans Post | Needle Down

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *