Ali Wilkinson

Feathering my Nest

I’ve been working 70 hour weeks the past month whilst trying to get over a nasty cold. The two in combination are not the best. The cold seems to be gone now but the long hours will still be required for a wee while longer, so all the more reason for me to spend as much of the weekend sewing as a de-stressor and distraction!

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 1

This is what I have been amusing myself with the last two weekends. The pattern has been on my to do list for what seems like forever since I first saw it on the cover of Love Patchwork and Quilting issue 9 and I have had it in mind to make in this Jennifer Sampou Shimmer fabric too.

The first feather required a little seam ripping until I worked out that joining the side triangles correctly required me to join them with 1/4″ dog ear overlap at the edge. (I should have recalled that from the Angled class I took with Rachel.) See this picture for an illustration:

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 2

 

Once I got a rhythm going and had worked it out progress was quite quick. The pattern descriptions are quite good but I could probably have done with some additional photos as I found it hard to imagine what I was going to do when I read the pattern before starting.

I used Kona Bone as my background colour and an Oakshott shot cotton for the quills, which I will also use as the binding.

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 4

Today has been cold and sleety, so not the most ideal for photo opportunities, so please excuse the shadow.

When I began assembly I realised that some of the tips of my feathers were a teensy bit too short. I was able to “bodgy things up” so it all worked out well, but if I made one again I would sew with very scant 1/4″ seams and not the true 1/4″ seams I usually use.

needledown_nz_feather_my_nest_ 3

I am delighted with the end result and will drop this off with Suzet Pont for quilting. I am tempted with a very full-on Angela Waters style.

The feathers were constructed by sewing strips of each fabric together to make a large panel, and then cutting the angled segments. Of course with this type of construction I ended up with lots of left over partial segments, which I have randomly sewn together to create large pieced blocks which I will use for another project (I am thinking a storage bucket or basket, but given how much there is I might get another hot water bottle cover too!). Watch this space for more on that!

And so, this is another project almost done for the 2015 Finish Along.

8 thoughts on “Feathering my Nest

  1. Well done Ali! You are quite prolific aren’t you!? Can’t wait to see you at stitch group once these 70 hour weeks (!) ease for you.
    Andrea x
    PS The quilt top is lovely and I look forward to working with silvers and golds when I make Christmas present quilts for Jack’s cousins. Must get onto that…

  2. I am glad to hear that you are over your cold, and I hope that the 70 hour work weeks (!!!) wrap up for you soon. The quilt top looks amazing. I agree that pictures are worth a thousand words; we quilters are such a visual bunch that sometimes I wonder if all that is required for a pattern are just photographs of each step.

  3. Pingback: Leftovers | Needle Down

  4. hi gads am soooooo happy at last ,the tutorial of a feather , many moons looking , love your style designs, color how you show us the how too thanx again renee by

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *