Does this happen to you? You are mid way through a tidying frenzy and realise that in order to keep your chargers and cords tidy in stylised way that would make Martha Stewart jealous , you HAVE to immediately go pull fabric and sew up a basket. So you leave the half tidied area/drawer/room you were working in and start pulling fabric and finding the pattern for a basket that you have never made before but know that right now is the best time to do it.
On Sunday that’s where I found myself. You know, the day after I had posted about all the unfinished things I had and how I was on a mission to focus on the Wheel quilt. I think I am suffering from Quilting Butterfly Syndrome, where you jump from project to project so excited by the colours and possibilities and not finishing anything properly.
I chose to use up some of the Cotton and Steel and Dashwood fabrics left over from the Indian Blanket, combined with the home decor weight Rashida Coleman-Hale clamshells/scallops that I picked up in Spotlight a few weeks ago. Luckily I had some fusible interfacing and fusible batting to hand ready to go.
I think I have mentioned previously that I am not such an expert in 3D sewing. I have heard great things about this pattern online and I have to say I found it quite straightforward. The only times I was scratching my head were when I had missed instructions by not concentrating properly, like when I completely missed reading the bit about how to add both interfacing and batting to the exterior which I missed as it’s the first instruction in the section on external pockets, which are optional and I chose not to add on this first attempt.
I used my trusty Clover Wonder Clips to hold the exterior and lining together before top stitching to join. Those clips really do come into their own for situations like this when pins struggle to cope with the thickness of the fabrics and/or distort the end result.
Let’s not look too closely at the way those two top stitched lines are not parallel or even…. (something for me to work on in the next attempt!)
It came together very quickly – perhaps 2 1/2 hours in total. Which was quite a relief as then I could corral those cords and chargers into the two pockets and stash this basket back in the place I had allocated for it and continue with my tidying frenzy! Oh happy days!