I hadn’t done much in the early part of this week due to some pretty heavy work commitments and focusing on family time, so this weekend I have been on a sewing marathon the past few days to try to catch up a little. I managed to complete not only the top but also the backing for the Indian Blanket quilt.
The directional fabric in the top had resulted in a large pile of triangles which pointed in the wrong direction, so I decided to use these on the back to add a little interest. The whole quilt has quilt a light spring feeling about it and I used one of my favourite Carolyn Friedlander Architextures hatch patterns to keep that lightness flowing onto the back too.
I really enjoyed making these triangles and was very surprised how quickly it came together – I am sure the cutting took longer than the sewing!
I plan to quilt this by hand using these bold threads that are only 50wt but give the impression of being heavier. I am going to go for a sashiko stitch echoing the triangles in contrasting thread. I didn’t plan the placement of the triangles on the back to ensure the stitches from the top match up, so it will be interesting to see if I can make it look Ok even on the back. I will glue baste using 505 spray which I have finally got to grips with (no pun intended!), but as it’s still warm here I think I will set this to one side to wait for the colder weather to come in before I hand quilt it.
Now I need to get back to my Curves Class assignments as a deadline is coming up!