Last year I did an online class called Angled with Rachel of Stitched in Color. The class was focused on sewing precise angles using diamonds and various kinds of triangle and there were several quilts as projects to put into practice the newly learned techniques and skills.
During the course I focused on a huge large Queen sized project that incorporated all of the skills we learned. That quilt is called Tangential and I will post more about it soon. At the time I found it quite difficult to choose which project to do – all the designs were gorgeous – and I watched the other class participants post pictures of their renditions of the different designs. Finally the time has come for me to start my second favourite design – this one is called Indian Blanket and the design is entirely equilateral triangles in rows of varying sizes. Here is Rachel’s original post about the quilt and the Angled class.
My initial fabric pull was inspired by the Wendy Kendall Petite Street triangles print. I liked the idea of a triangle printed fabric in a triangle design quilt. The colours seemed really fresh and quite different from the sea of Kaffe that was 2014 for me! Using this print as my colour inspiration I chose the other fabrics which are Cotton and Steel, more Petite Street and Bonnie and Camille Raindrops. These fabrics will be used for the upward pointing triangles.
I decided to keep the quilt quite light and airy and will use low volume prints for the downward facing triangles.
Sometimes you know it’s good but not great, and this was one of those moments. I let the fabrics sit on my cutting mat for a few weeks while I worked out what was missing – I decided the selection needs grounding and so I chose some brown toned fabrics to work in.
These are Pearl Bracelets (a great standby!) and a couple of prints from Brambleberry Ridge by Violet Craft at Michael Miller. I have to say I have surprised myself by my choice of novelty prints but I think in small doses and all mixed together they won’t look twee!
Rachel kindly provided a quilt design layout which was very useful for colouring in and noting which print goes where. I didn’t have a teal coloured pencil so you will have to use your imagination! You can also see my notes on the height of each row’s triangles, and the cutting rules at the top – these little notes save me having to go back through the pattern over and over. I find these planners really useful as often I pick fabrics and spend hours planning and then only cut and sew later on, and in between I forget what I had planned so end up repeating the process. Sometimes this ends up in fortuitous new designs or combinations, or other times I end up with a stack of left over fabric and no memory of what the goal was for it!
Row A is complete and so far I like the size of the triangles. Row B is cut and pinned ready to chain piece. Elise is away at the lake with her grandparents from today and Gary has late shifts this week and next, so I am hoping for a good amount of progress being made on this project this week!